Sunday, July 5, 2009

We're Coming to America!

I love the 4th of July! I love being an American. Freedom isn't free and it is so important to me that my little grandkids recognize how blessed we are to live in this country. As part of the Provo Freedom Festival they have created a new event. It is called the "Ellis Island Experience". It is a simulation of coming to America as an immigrant and learning what it takes to become a U.S. Citizen. There is also a short play that shows different battles for freedom beginning with Joan of Arc and continuing through the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It was touching and really made you think of the sacrifices our forefathers made for our freedom. After the play the kids received their "passports" and went through a field of flags and learned about the 10 commitments we make to be a citizen. Then they took a test with actual questions from the exam given to immigrants. Then the next station was the oath. Each of them raised their hand and took the oath and recommitted to being a better citizen. It was an awesome experience!
Here they are waiting for the play to begin.
Some of the cast of the musical

Hal and Matt... Coming to America!

We are in AMERICA!

Milestone #7... "Praying for America" "Will you pray for America?"
I know that our government isn't going in a good direction right now and I ask myself often... "What can I do to make a difference?" I don't know what to do... but I know that I can pray for my country. Ultimately I believe that may make the biggest difference.

"Understanding our Natural Rights"

Pledging Allegiance to our Flag and to our country.

This is my favorite "Milestone"

Passing the citizenship test and having their passports marked.

Ready to take the Oath of Citizenship!

The newest bunch of recommitted citizens!
What a great activity! We learned so much and it was a perfect way to celebrate this holiday! God Bless America!

No comments: