Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Paul Liston 1956-2009


Paul Liston, A dear friend of ours passed away this past Monday. He was much too young to leave us! He was a neighbor of ours and became a life long friend. Hal and I were blessed to be able to go and say goodbye to him on Monday. It is a moment I will always remember. He fought long and hard to stay here. Paul lived a wonderful life and will be remembered by all who knew him.
I first met Paul as just someone in our ward and then he called me (many years ago) and asked me to come and meet with him at his wood shop. I went down and he offered me a job as his manager -helping him build a new business. He wanted to call it A&P craft and had some great ideas for it. We got busy and he finished the building and we started a great little wood business. We had the most innovative designs in the county and offered classes and all the products needed to complete the projects. Everywhere you would go you could see an A&P project hanging on a door. Our daughter Amy was one of the designers and years later were were at a craft store and one of Amy's exact designs was being offered after having been made in China! (Who Knew?) I was amazed that Paul had the confidence in me to think that I was capable of doing what he had envisioned. He had a lot of faith in me and showed me that I could do more than I thought I could. I loved working there because I could take Lizzy with me and she was only 5 and in kindergarten. Each of the kids in turn worked there and Paul ended up helping support Matt and Jenny on their missions. I don't think anyone will ever know how many kids he helped to get on their missions financially and otherwise. He was an amazing Scout Master. He loved the boys and they loved him.
Hal and I and Dan and Danielle Seegmiller went on many trips with Paul to trade shows. We had some great adventures! An earthquake was the most memorable...when we were staying on the top floor of the Excalibur Hotel! Yikes!
Paul was really scared of Rats...and so of course we would hide little stuffed rats all over the office to scare him... and it did! He would then stash them in my desk and I was startled on more than one occasion. Then everyone that worked there got into it and it was hilarious!
One of my favorite memories was handing him a box one day to give me a bid on while he was on the phone...he immediately opened it and a HUGE spider came up out of it and landed on his hand (it was made to do that!) He was on an important long distance call and it scared him silly! He threw that box and was up on a chair before I knew it! I was trying to calm him down saying "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry...It's not real"..but I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. We had lots of fun at work! I don't think he ever forgave me for that one....but it was hilarious!
Paul found the love of his life in Patti! She is one amazing woman. I can't imagine what he would have done without her. She is his rock and his eternal companion. Thanks Patti for all you did for Paul. The one bright spot in all of this is that I know he will have her forever. They just didn't have enough time here.
So many people have called and emailed in the past few days. Everyone loved Paul. He was just one of those people that comes into your life and changes it for the better forever!
We love you Paul and cherish the memories we have with you! Your time was short but the the time you had you served others and blessed countless lives!
We will love you forever! Terry and Hal

1 comment:

Christensen family said...

I am so sad to hear of his passing! Yes, he was a very good man! And I sure do have good memories of A&P! Wow! Sorry to hear of his loss.